Cape Canaveral Space Program

In the early 16th century, Cape Canaveral was noted on maps, although without being named. It was named by Spanish explorers in the first half of the 16th century as Cabo Cañareal. The name “Canaveral” (Cañaveral in Spanish, meaning “reed bed” or “sugarcane plantation”) is the third oldest surviving European place name in the US. [note 1] The first application of the name, according to the Smithsonian Institution, was from the 1521–1525 explorations of Spanish explorer Francisco Gordillo. A point of land jutting out into an area of the Atlantic Ocean with swift currents, it became a landing spot for many shipwrecked sailors. An early alternative name was “Cape of Currents”. By at least 1564, the name appeared on maps.